Stephen N. Wilchins
Steve Wilchins is a practicing attorney with over 40 years of experience. He focuses on sophisticated estate planning and serves the business and estate planning needs of high net worth families and individuals, including owners of large, closely-held and family businesses. Steve is the founding member of the law firm Wilchins Cosentino & Novins LLP.
Steve’s business and estate planning practice guides business owners and their families through a variety of corporate and personal matters including general corporate, tax structuring, transfers of business interests, business succession planning, charitable giving, estate planning and family dynamic issues. His practice includes all aspects of trust and estate administration, advising fiduciaries and beneficiaries, and serving as trustee for numerous family trusts.
As a certified public accountant, Steve provides clients with an intricate understanding of critical income and estate tax considerations during the planning process. He has extensive experience in guiding individuals and families as they develop and implement successful estate and tax planning strategies. His broad understanding and calm demeanor help clients feel at ease when faced with complex and difficult decisions. Steve presently serves on several boards and has substantial business experience including co-founding several businesses.
Steve represents families who are financially successful and own closely-held businesses. Steve’s proactive approach to identifying and implementing practical strategies has preserved wealth and ensured business continuity for clients over his four decades as a trusted estate planning advisor.
The focus of his practice is as follows:
- Sophisticated trust and estate planning
- Trusted advisor to successful business owners, C-suite executives and entrepreneurs of private and public companies
- Seasoned legal and business experience in advising large, closely-held and family businesses
- Provides practical advice when addressing complex issues
Professional Associations, Memberships & Community Involvement
- President, New England Chapter, Family Firm Institute, Inc.
- Board of Directors, Boston Estate Planning Council
- Board of Directors and Chair of the Audit Committee, Boston University Medical Center
- President, Kernwood Country Club and member Board of Governors
- Member of The University Club, Boston, and member, Scholarship Committee
- Member, Dean’s Cabinet, Suffolk University
- President, Trinity Place Condominiums and Board of Trustees
Honors & Recognition
- AV Preeminent® Rating – Highest Possible Rating in Both Legal Ability & Ethical Standards by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Top Trust & Estate Attorneys in the United States, The Robb Report and Worth Magazine
- Massachusetts Super Lawyer in Estate Planning, Boston Magazine
- The Wall Street Journal, Best Lawyers in New England
- Super Lawyers – Estate Planning 2022
- The Best Lawyers in America – Estate Planning 2012 – 2023
News, Events & Publications
- Dividing Trust Assets in a Divorce: A Massachusetts Case’s Major Impact
- Private Client Services:
- Trust & Estate Planning
- Business Succession Planning
- Tax Planning
- Fiduciary Services
- Family Office Services
- Estate & Trust Administration
- Charitable Planned Giving
- Asset Protection Planning
- Business Law
- Real Estate Law
- Suffolk University Law School, J.D.
- New Hampshire
- Certified Public Accountant
- Accredited Estate Planner
National Association of Estate Planners & Councils