This policy explains how and why we collect personal data.
Our website address is wcnllp.com.
Personal Data in Connection with Clients
As a law firm, WCN must obtain certain information before it can accept someone as a client. For individual clients, this includes:
- Contact details
- Financial information
Many of WCN’s clients are corporate entities. Data about those entities are not personal data. But we do process personal data about company employees, representatives, and other personal data clients provide to us, or allow us to collect on their behalf, including personal data that are relevant or necessary for us to provide legal advice.
WCN also processes personal data to assist in building relationships. This includes name, contact information and job title. This may also include education information, work history and gender.
WCN collects and uses this information to provide services to WCN’s clients and for other legitimate business interests. For example, WCN uses contact details to send communications and legal updates.
Personal Data Collection in Connection with Prospective Clients
For prospective clients, or an employee or representative of a prospective client, WCN will process personal data, including your name and contact details, as well as details of any interactions you may have with WCN.
WCN’s legal basis for processing personal data in connection with prospective clients is to take steps requested by you prior to entering into a contract with you; and to pursue WCN’s legitimate interests in building WCN’s business and developing a relationship with potential new clients.
Personal Data Collection in Connection with Visitors to WCN’s Website
WCN also collects information automatically as disclosed in WCN’s Cookie Notice, below. WCN’s legal basis for processing personal data in connection with visitors to WCN’s website is to pursue WCN’s legitimate interests in developing and growing our business and operating and improving our website.
Personal Data Collection in Connection with Vendors and Business Partners
WCN processes personal data of vendors and business partners, including name and contact details. WCN’s legal basis for processing personal data in connection with vendors and business partners is to perform contracts and to pursue WCN’s legitimate interests of managing and operating its business, including through use of vendors.
Personal Data Collection in Connection with Other Individuals
In the course of WCN’s business operations or when providing legal services, WCN is sometimes provided with personal data about individuals other than those described explicitly in this policy. WCN can obtain this information from a number of different sources including clients, WCN’s clients’ opponent or counterparties, the courts, tribunals or those seeking to do business with WCN. For example, WCN may process:
- Information about customers, employees, partners, shareholders, lawyers or agents of companies WCN’s client may be interested in buying or selling;
- Information about customers, employees, partners, shareholders, lawyers or agents of companies or other entities with whom WCN’s clients may seek to enter into contractual relationships;
- Information about customers, employees, partners, shareholders, lawyers or agents of companies or other entities involved in legal disputes with WCN’s clients;
- Information about trustees, executors, heirs, beneficiaries, and others related to or friends and acquaintances with individuals for whom WCN provides trusts and estate services; and
- Information about potential employees, partners, vendors, business partners, or their employees, partners, shareholders or agents.
The primary reason WCN processes this personal data is to provide legal or related services, to fulfill WCN’s professional duties, and to comply with law and operate our business.
WCN’s legal basis for processing personal data WCN receives related to other individuals is to comply with WCN’s legal obligations and meet its professional responsibilities; and to pursue WCN’s legitimate interests of operating its business, providing client services, and conducting marketing activities.
Other Uses of Personal Data
In addition to the uses described above, WCN may use your personal data for the following purposes:
- Operating WCN’s business, providing legal and related services, and managing your accounts;
- Contacting you in response to your requests or inquiries;
- Providing you with newsletters, articles, alerts and announcements, and other marketing information that WCN’s believes may be of interest to you;
- Conducting research, surveys, and similar inquiries to help WCN understand trends and client needs;
- Analyzing your interactions with WCN and improving WCN’s products, services, programs and other offerings;
- Meeting legal obligations; and
Sharing of Personal Data in Connection with Providing Legal and Related Services
WCN may disclose personal data to third parties in order to perform services on your behalf. WCN may disclose personal data to the following categories of third parties:
- Others involved in a matter on which WCN is working, including courts, lawyers, counterparties, experts, mediators, opponents, other attorneys and witnesses;
- Government authorities, including law enforcement, tax and regulatory agencies and other governmental bodies;
- Insurers and third-party legal services providers; and
- Other service providers such as IT and telephone services, document production, and postal and delivery services.
Disclosure of Personal Data for Other Purpose
In addition to data WCN may disclose when rendering legal and related services, WCN may use or disclose your personal data to:
- Trusted third parties, who are bound by contractual obligations to keep personal data confidential, to support WCN’s business, and to use personal data only for the purposes for which WCN discloses personal data to those trusted third parties;
- Comply with any court order, subpoena, law, legal process, or to respond to any government or regulatory request, including requests related to laws outside of your country of residence;
- Carry out WCN’s obligations and enforce WCN’s rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and WCN;
- Protect the rights, property or safety of WCN, its Partners, employees, customers or others;
- Enforce WCN’s terms and conditions;
- Permit WCN to pursue available remedies and/or limit damages WCN may sustain;
- Fulfill WCN’s recordkeeping obligations and practices;
- Fulfill any other purpose disclosed by WCN when you provide the information; and
- Comply with your instructions or, if allowed to do so, with your consent.
WCN seeks to use reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures to protect personal data within our firm. No data transmission or storage system, however, can be guaranteed to be secure at all times. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with WCN is no longer secure, please immediately notify WCN in accordance with the “Contact Us” section below.
WCN may periodically send you relevant alerts and newsletters by email. To help improve WCN’s marketing activities, WCN often receives a confirmation when you open an email or click on a link included in one of these emails, if your computer supports such capabilities. Instructions on how to unsubscribe from these alerts and newsletters are included in each email
Cookies on WCN’s websites are generally divided into the following categories:
- Essential Cookies: These cookies are strictly necessary to provide you with services available through WCN’s services and to use some of their features, such as access to secure areas. Because these cookies are strictly necessary to deliver the website’s content and usability, you cannot refuse them without affecting how WCN’s website functions.
- Performance and Functionality Cookies: These cookies are used to enhance the performance and functionality of WCN’s website but are non-essential to their use. Without these cookies, however, certain functionality may become unavailable.
- Analytics and Customization Cookies: These cookies collect information that is used to help WCN understand how its website is being used or how effective WCN’s marketing campaigns are, or to help WCN customize its website in order to enhance your experience.
- Targeting Cookies: These cookies record your visit to WCN’s website, the pages you have visited, and the links you have followed to recognize you as a previous visitor and to track your activity on the website and other websites you visit. These Cookies qualify as persistent cookies because they remain on your device for WCN to use during subsequent visits to WCN’s website. You can delete these cookies via your browser settings. See below for further details on how you can control third-party targeting cookies.
How to Control Cookies
You can review your Internet browser settings, typically under the sections “Help” or “Internet Options,” to exercise choices you have for certain Cookies. If you disable or delete certain Cookies in your settings, you may not be able to use features of the website.
The opt-outs described above are device- and browser-specific and may not work on all devices. If you choose to opt-out through any of these opt-out tools, this does not mean you will cease to see advertising. Rather, the ads you see will not be tailored to your interests.
Links to Other Sites
WCN may change this policy from time to time at its sole discretion. WCN encourages visitors to check this page for any changes to this policy.
Wilchins Cosentino & Novins, LLP
20 William Street, Suite 130
Wellesley, MA 02481