Litigation Case Results
- Settlement of minority shareholder claim against corporation and management board for breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty following wrongful termination.
- Defense and settlement of claim against law firm and former law partner for alleged professional malpractice arising from the default of a commercial loan.
- Judgment obtained against former business partners following a damages assessment trial arising from the breach of a joint venture agreement. Successfully pursued the former partners in separate collection actions to recover payment.
- Settlement of legal malpractice claim arising from advice given to financial services corporation regarding tax implications of converting to a different corporate form.
Complex Personal Injury & Professional Malpractice Cases
- $3,200,000 verdict plus interest totaling over $4,000,000 against a family’s former attorney and accountant for breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract, fraud, undue influence, intentional infliction of emotion distress, and unfair and deceptive conduct in violation of Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 93A.
- $2,000,000 settlement for family of 72 year-old man injected with air into coronary artery during routine angioplasty procedure causing fatal heart attack.
- $1,400,000 settlement of legal malpractice claim.
- $1,200,000 settlement for family of 90 year-old assisted living facility resident with dementia sexually assaulted by a facility employee.
- $880,000 settlement for family of 62 year-old nursing home patient at risk of skin breakdown who died of sepsis after developing heel ulcers.
- $480,000 settlement for family of 18 month-old with gastrointestinal complications who died as a result of a failure to diagnose and treat a life-threatening condition.
- $225,000 settlement for family of 48 year-old nursing home patient who died after breathing tube became dislodged.
- $100,000 settlement for elderly man injured from a dog bite.
- $100,000 settlement for man who slipped and fell in restaurant parking lot inadequately treated following a snow storm.
- Defense of airline and settlement of action brought by an elderly passenger who claimed that employee negligence caused passenger to suffer injury when he fell
- Defense of vehicle manufacturer and settlement of action brought by operator who claimed he was injured due to a defect in the hood design.
Construction & Real Estate Disputes
- Settlement of homeowner claims against general contractor for defective workmanship, breach of construction contract, and unfair and deceptive business practices.
- Defense of general contractor and settlement of claims for defective workmanship and breach of construction contract.
- Defense of subcontractor and settlement of general contractor’s claims for breach of subcontract and defective workmanship.
- Successfully dismissed contractor’s mechanic’s lien recorded against homeowner’s property
- Settlement of homeowner’s claim against municipality for structural damage to a residential property caused by a Town’s negligent failure to maintain and repair storm water drain.
- Trial verdict affirmed on appeal in favor of commercial property owner for specific performance of a purchase and sale agreement.
- Settlement of homeowner’s claim against neighbor’s land surveyor who prepared inaccurate plot plan leading to an avoidable boundary dispute.
- Settlement of property owner’s petition to partition and sell single-family residential property.
Employment & Discrimination
- Negotiate severance packages and benefits on behalf of employees and employers
- Represent employers and employees at MCAD, including:
- Probable cause finding MCAD of claimed sexual harassment and wrongful termination on behalf of pregnant employee.
- Defense of employer leading to finding of no probable cause and dismissal of former employee’s MCAD complaint alleging racial discrimination.
- Defense of employer leading to former employee’s withdrawal of MCAD complaint alleging age discrimination.
- Defense of employer of claimed discrimination based upon religion.
- Defense of employer of claimed discrimination based upon alleged sexual harassment leading to finding of no probable cause.Defense of employer of claimed discrimination based on alleged disability.
Estate, Trust & Probate Cases
- Representation of a beneficiary in a will-contest regarding claims of undue influence and lack of testamentary capacity against another beneficiary.
- Dismissal of Florida action against sibling for lack of personal jurisdiction alleging undue influence and breach of fiduciary duty arising from a brother’s claimed entitlement to a larger share of the mother’s estate.
- Representation of National Brokerage Firms regarding the wrongful termination of a financial advisor, payment of promissory notes and business disputes.
- Representation of National Brokerage Firms and local broker-dealers regarding claims of negligence, lack of supervision and breach of contract claims brought by customers against brokerage firms and financial advisors.
- Representation of financial advisors seeking to expunge unfounded customer complaints from their registration records.
Land Use & Zoning
- Obtained judgment in Land Court affirmed on appeal upholding the Planning Board’s issuance of a special permit.
- Obtained variances, special permits and site plan approvals from town zoning and planning boards, including: Brookline, Hopkinton, Natick, Wellesley, Winchester, Weston, and Wayland.
- Obtained variance from the Massachusetts Architectural Access Board.
- Represent abutters to proposed 40B project seeking to work collaboratively with developer to minimize adverse impacts to neighborhood.
- Represent abutters in Land Court appealing from the issuance of a building permit to enlarge adjacent single-family home who challenge the interpretation of the Town’s Zoning Bylaw.
- Obtained judgment after trial overturning Zoning Board’s refusal to grant special permit authorizing construction of gas station.
- Served as Special Town Counsel to the Town of Brookline Zoning Board of Appeals in connection with a contested proposal to expand a neighborhood elementary school.