Michael B. Cosentino
- Georgetown University Law Center, JD, 1990
- Clark University, BA, 1986
Contact InformationPhone: 781-235-5500
Attorney Michael Cosentino’s practice is concentrated in litigation, focusing on civil and business litigation. His experience also includes litigating matters in the areas of financial services litigation, securities law, estate and probate litigation and professional malpractice.
Michael represents corporations, small businesses, wealth management firms, broker-dealers, Registered Investment Advisors and individuals both nationally and throughout Massachusetts and New England. Michael has extensive experience with securities litigation in the financial services area, which includes representing both securities firms and financial advisors in individual and institutional customer disputes, and enforcement actions before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), American Arbitration Association and other regulatory bodies including the SEC and state securities agencies.
Michael is results-oriented. His clients rely upon his legal acumen and winning determination when facing litigation and issues related to breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, business torts, unfair and deceptive trade practices, legal and medical malpractice, business agreements, real estate and construction disputes, insurance coverage and securities lawsuits.
Michael routinely litigates and arbitrates the most difficult financial services litigation cases, working with his clients collaboratively until the job is done. He represents clients on both sides of customer-initiated complaints. He is equally committed to recovering financial losses suffered by customers and to defending claims against financial advisors. He has obtained numerous orders on behalf of registered representatives, requiring the expungement of information on Form U-5.
Michael often represents executors, administrators, trustees, beneficiaries and other individuals and entities before the probate courts in connection with trust and estate litigation, will contests, actions for breach of fiduciary duties, accountings and petitions for partition for real property.
Prior to the formation of Wilchins Cosentino & Novins LLP, Michael was a senior partner with the former law firm Seegel Lipshutz & Wilchins LLP where he served as the chairperson of the litigation department. As a leading litigation lawyer in his field, Michael has been annually recognized as a Massachusetts Super Lawyer for seven years.
- Appears before all federal and state courts in Massachusetts.
- Representing companies and employees in restrictive covenant litigation and arbitration, including before FINRA, based on non-solicitation and non-competition agreements.
- Successful representation of National Brokerage Firms and local broker-dealers regarding claims of negligence, lack of supervision and breach of contract claims brought by customers against brokerage firms and financial advisors.
- Successful representation of broker-dealers against former financial advisors in breach of employment agreement.
- Successful representation of customers against Broker-Dealers for claims of unsuitability, negligence, churning, and breach of duty of care.
- Successful representation of broker-dealer against claims of fraud, breach of contract and conversion of assets.
- Representation of financial advisors seeking to expunge unfounded customer complaints from their registration records.
- Counseling clients in investigations and inquiries before government agencies and self-regulatory organizations.
- Arbitration of cases involving state and federal securities laws, fraud, negligent misrepresentation and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Successful representation of a beneficiary in a will-contest regarding claims of undue influence and lack of testamentary capacity against another beneficiary.
- Successful representation of a beneficiary in a will contest regarding claims of undue influence and lack of testamentary capacity against a decedent’s spouse.
- Representation of tenants in disputes with landlords regarding a variety of issues.
- Successful representation of a small business involving a shareholder dispute.
- Dismissal of federal court action against heir for undue influence due to lack of personal jurisdiction in forum state.
- Successful representation of homeowners and contractors in disputes regarding defective workmanship and unfair and deceptive business practices.
- Successful representation of individuals in variety of personal injury and medical malpractice matters.
- Successful representation of family in wrongful death action against nursing home.
- Successful representation of business owner in legal malpractice action arising from failure to give proper tax and corporate advice concerning conversion of business entity form.
- Successful representation of software development company in action for breach of contract and nonpayment of professional service fees.
- Successful representation of homeowner in action to partition and sell land held as tenants in common.
- Successfully defended auto repair shop in action alleging defective workmanship and unfair and deceptive business practices.
Professional & Community Involvement
American Bar Association, member
District of Columbia Bar Association, member
Massachusetts Bar Association, member
New York Bar Association, member
Boston Estate Planning Council
District of Columbia
U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts
U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia